The Office of Research Administration (ORA) has responsibility for administering
all externally funded projects. The ORA submits proposals to sponsors, negotiates
awards on behalf of the University, performs post-award administration and ensures
financial compliance. Financial compliance includes adherence to federal regulations,
sponsor guidelines and restrictions and University policies and procedures. Awards
administered by ORA are commonly referred to as sponsored
The ORA provides complete project life cycle support (sometimes known as pre-award
and post-award services) to faculty and staff engaging in sponsored projects. The
ORA program administrator (PA) serves as the primary single point-of-contact for
all aspects of project administration. The program administrator assigned to each
investigator can be found by searching the “Contacts
ORA Responsibility Areas:
- Assist in project conceptualization and planning.
- Provide general guidelines and assistance for proposal preparation and award administration.
- Review, approve and submit all sponsored project proposals on behalf of the University.
- Negotiate and accept sponsored awards. Negotiate subcontracts to other institutions.
Establish sponsored project cost centers, monitor performance, assist in compliance
review of spending in accordance with University and sponsor policies and procedures
and OMB Circulars A-21 and A-110, and assist PI’s in the financial closeout of the
- Interpret federal, University and sponsor regulations, policies and
- Prepare invoices and financial reports. Collect cash.
- Maintain proposal and award database and prepare management reports. Provide training
and support for faculty and staff during the sponsored project life cycle.
- Coordinate and facilitate audits.
- Monitor programmatic and financial compliance.